Compared to 0.1.3, this release features:
And of course we updated the official levels to make use of all the new features.
- a nearly completely rewritten game engine based on OpenGL, OpenAL, SDL2, ...
- support for translations
- in-game manager for downloadable add-ons and translations
- Bonus Island III, a for now unfinished Forest Island and the development levels in Incubator Island
- a final boss in Icy Island
- new and improved soundtracks and sound effects
- new badguys, bonuses and power-ups (air-, earth- and ice-flower)
- a halloween tilemap
- new graphic effects (glowing objects, particles, ...)
- levels and worldmaps are scriptable using squirrel
- much more game objects: trampolines, switches, portable stones, wind, moving platforms, ... - most of them have scripting APIs
- improved statistics
- many invisible changes, like unit tests, efficiency improvements and more bugfixes
- much more...
|SuperTux 0.4.0 Overworld|
That's where the community comes in though. With a stable game to work with, hopefully players and artists can combine to extend the game and make it enjoyable for generations to come.
My own 15 year old son remembers SuperTux 0.1.3 fondly as, he says, the best game he played as a young child.